Sunday, August 11, 2013

Baked Eggplant Parmesan

I'm behind on weeks. I'm not sure how it happened, but the last few weeks we've gotten eggplant. In our experience, there are only so many things one can do with eggplant. There was an eggplant frittata involved, that I didn't get a chance to eat, but I heard it was delicious.

This week we decided to make baked eggplant parmesan. For appetizers though, we used up some of the ginormous cucumbers we got in the CSA bag and made some little cucumber on party rye open-face sandwiches with dill on top. I searched cucumber recipes and aside from using it for greek salads with tomatoes, taziki sauce and pickles, there isn't a whole lot out there.

I am not a huge fan of frying food in oils, so instead I decided to bake the eggplant. I sliced it up, salted it to pull out the bitterness, washed the salt off and then patted the eggplant try. Then I egged and panko breadcrumbed the slices and baked them at 375 for 15 min on one side, flipped and baked for 10 min on the other side. Then layer the red sauce, eggplant & cheese and bake at 475 for 15 minutes. With some angel hair pasta on the side, whoa tasty.



Peaches, Shatto butter, cucumbers, ball squash and eggs rounded out this week's CSA, so more culinary experimentation is ahead.

-Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment