Monday, July 29, 2013

Week #8 tops the charts

Here's to Matt, the young cashier at Hen House located at 6900 W. 135th Street in Overland Park! It was time for me to pick up Week #8 and as soon as I approached the checkout stations, he said with a smile "Let me go get your CSA stuff." Wow, what service!

I knew what I would be receiving for Week #8 and when he came back with only one bag I began to wonder how he fit all the goods plus an entire watermelon in only one bag. Hmmm... 

3 lbs of peaches - check
1 lb ground bison - check
1 dozen eggs - check
1 loaf of Whole Wheat Bread - check

Where's the watermelon and bell peppers? Matt to the rescue! Not only did he bring back the missing items, but I even was given an extra dozen eggs for the trouble. 

Hen House CSA Week #8
Knowing that I had onion and potatoes from Week #7 and 3 ready-to-eat bell peppers this week, I found an AWESOME stuffed bell pepper recipe. I made some slight variations to the recipe like substituting bison for beef and only using 16 oz. verses the called for 24 oz.  I sautéed the onions in olive oil before cooking the meat, and I add the salt, pepper, and a mad dash of cayenne pepper to the meat while it was cooking instead of afterward.

I left the skins on the golden Yukon potatoes and made creamy mashed potatoes as the side dish, seasoned with a dash of salt and pepper.   

Voilà! Dinner is served!
This meal was savory and delectable.  Dave even called it 'baller' which is saying a lot because that terms is used for only the creme dela creme.

What's next...figuring out what to do with 2 dozen eggs!

Cheers,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment